you can use the testers to test DSL speed. If the speed is low, there are a number of things you can do;
- Make sure you have the latest firmware on the router
- If so, try rebooting the router (if this is a home router)
- Change channels on the router
It could be a challenge to effectively test throughput across a wireless link. There are several things to consider:
- Number of users/systems connected
- RF spectrum interference
- Firmware and driver configuration(s)
- Wired network utilization
- Endpoint (source & destination) utilization
- Distance from access point
- Access point coverage
There are tools like QCheck or iperf that can be used for throughput/capacity testing (both can be found on the Xirrus website) but those will not necessarily give you insight into the items mentioned above. The items mentioned above are the elements that need to be considered or managed to improve performance.
Also note that network speed and capacity are not the same. See my blog entry on this topic.