Basic replication is implemented through materialized views, and I think Oracle XE (express edition) supports read-only materialized views only (not updateable).
There is not much documentation about “basic” replication specifically, but I guess any materialized views documentation could provide some help.
Here are a couple of links you might find interesting:
<a href=”http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14223/basicmv.htm#g1028195″>Basic Materialized Views</a>
<a href=”http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14200/statements_6002.htm#i2063793″>CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW </a>
Well, this is not as detailed as a step by step guide, but I hope this can clarify things a little.
- First, you need a database link between the 2 databases (<a href=”http://searchoracle.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid41_gci1263933,00.html”>How to create a database link in Oracle</a>)
- grant the “create materialized view ” privilege to the user.
- Identify the tables you want to be replicated
- Identify the way you want your MV to be refreshed.
- Create the materialized views
Information about the last 2 actions can be found on the above links.
A simple example on creating a MV could be (using the defaults for the many available parameters):
<pre>CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW emp
SELECT * FROM emp@your_dblink;</pre>
Hope this helps.