Hello all - having issues with a particular user. We have been running RDP on a Windows 2008 R2 server to publish a Remote Application. All the users accessing things work fine except for one. They are all acceing via Cisco Site to Site VPN. And all users seem to operate with acceptable RDP performance and issues save one.
I initially thought it was the user PC (very old and lots of configuration changes) it was runnning XPPro with SP 3 and all updates - the user (username bhurt) would be on for a few minutes - everything would be running fine then the screen locks up, and mstsc.exe is taking 100 or 50% of the CPU and the app is hung until we kill the mstsc.exe process and restart things. This went on for a few hours while I tested TCP things and networking - getting 0% packetloss pingin across the WAN back to the application server. So I decided rather than waste the users time troubleshooing this PC - I would swap out and let them use a second PC I had then I could trouble shoot this one as time permits.
So I brought in the second PC, logged in a user DOMAINBHurt, got everything set up and the application connecting again - perfect - everything was running fine till I got about a mile away, then the cell phone rang. Same thing - locking up mstsc.exe 100 or 50% until the app gets killed.
Figuring I had swapped out the PC, maybe it was a bad network cable (hard to beilve with 0% packet loss - nevertheless, while I pondered things, I terminated a new CAT6 cable just to eliminate it as well. No good, same issue.
Had the user access the remote app from another PC while I worked on this second PC (so he was using a PC logged in a JDunn to the DOMAIN - but running the Remote app as BHurt same DOMAIN). Never had a glitch one.
After the second day of trying to find some information (turning up nothing) the user needed to use their own desk - So I tried this:
Logged the user out of the DOMAIN and into their local PC as LocalPCBOB, then reconfigured all their stuff (Outlook email etc) to access the Domain applications - not Ideal, the user cannot access network shares etc... as they are not particiapating in the Domain, but for some reason it is working fine. As long as they are NOT logged into the Domain and access the Remote App it seems to be working fine. Is it possible that the UserName is causing these issues? I have also noted that they cannot save a RDP session - which is indicating that they must also have issues with their My Documents. I never would have figured that the user account could be causing these kind of issues.
Any one that may have some ideas about trouble shooint this, would be greatly appriciated. I am about ready to create a new userid, and reconfigure everything for the user bit would rather not have to do that and cannot believe that the userID could be causing this.
Software/Hardware used: Windows XPPro SP3 all update / Server 2008 R2 RDP server.
Free Guide: Managing storage for virtual environments
Complete a brief survey to get a complimentary 70-page whitepaper featuring the best methods and solutions for your virtual environment, as well as hypervisor-specific management advice from TechTarget experts. Don’t miss out on this exclusive content!