No, this is not a bug in Open Office 2.2.1. Ur input method was wrong ! The search function syntax like that,
SEARCH(“FindText”; “Text”; Position), where FindText is the text to be searched for, Text is the text where the search will take place and Position is the position in the text where the search is to start (hopefully it is optional).
Ur search criteria is =SEARCH(“;”;M2), I did not understand what the use for two “;”;…. the actual syntax is above. Suppose, there is a value on M2 cell say (a or A) then actual syntax is: =SEARCH(“a”;M2), remember, it is not case sensitive. I have tested and works fine in the same version.
For more information, see the Error Codes in Open Office – Calc