We have about 40 users with a drive mapped to the IFS.
It makes things very easy for users if their network user ID and password match the i Series. This allows a seamless link between the PC and the IFS.
When the passwords get out of sync the i Series may prompt for the i Series password when the PC tries to map the IFS drive. When this happens we bring the passwords back in sync. Since password expiration is controlled by system values on the i Series, this usually means changing the Windows network password to match the user’s new i Series password.
We also discovered that after passwords are re-sync’ed it solves several problems by just re-starting the PC.
To minimize the problem with out of sync passwords, we added an exit program to the i Series command processor that changes the user profile. It sends a message to the user reminding them to change their network password to keep everything in sync.
Thanks for your advise. The reason I am looking for the location of the cache is that sometimes it very hard to get users connected. Normally we advise users to have the same password for the LAN and the AS/400 and that works very well. But users sometimes forget and that is when it gets tricky. I have found a few tricks. A user can get disabled for network usage.
That can be reset by ops navigator/system/servers/tcp-ip/as400 netserver server. right click properties and select disabled user id’s. The same can be done with the CHGUSRPRF cmd. Execute it without making any changes and it also releases the Netserver lock. Recently i have also found a client access executable “cwblogon.exe” if you execute that with the switch /c it clears the cache. Even so sometimes it is a mystery and takes several atttempts to get it resolved.
Thank again any info is appreciated.
We were experiencing a similar issue with mapping to an as400 drive. At 1st using chgusrprf seemed to have worked. However, what we found is that the folder was set for a max of 5 users. I found this using navigator. I had folllowed the path ops navigator/system/servers/tcp-ip/as400 netserver server – mentioned in this thread. I double clicked on netserver and then shared folders. a list of all the shares is shown. Then right clicking on the share in question and clicking propeties reveiled the max connections. It can be changed in this window if you have necessary rights. That was our problem. The way the AS400 “disconnects shares not being used made it seem like these other things were fixing the problem, but it was just a matter of whether max users had been met at the particular time of connection. Check it out and let me know if this may be what is happening to you as well.
Thanks for that tip. I had not discovered that part. On our system the “No Maximum ” Connections radio button was selected.