Problem solved – although I still don’t understand some of the underlying behavior…
On the suggestion of a former colleage, once the system was brought up online, I copied the configuration by TFTP to my workstation, and THERE IT WAS FULLY VISIBLE.
Once I could see the whole config, I also noted that there was no telnet (VTY) access, so I added that in.
For some reason, once telnet access was configured, the entire configuration started showing up on the console connection itself. Go figure!!
Set the enable secret password – which essentially overrides the enable password.
I can only guess that the previous admin knew of a bug in that version of the IOS which would effectively “hide” any of the configuration past the first screenful.
I just went back and noted that there is no “screen x” command (for length of page) configured – so that appears to have no bearing on things.