IT Jobs are going to cut down drastically in 2009 globally says a latest survey by IT World Canada.

9385 pts.
Tags:
IT careers
IT industry
Do you agree or disagree that the IT jobs by 2009 are going to decrease drastically. If you think the answer is ‘yes’, what is the basis of your opinion? And if you think the answer is ‘no’, why do you think so?

Answer Wiki

Thanks. We'll let you know when a new response is added.

This question should be appended to the other question you asked about cloud computing. What I mean by that is if the cloud computing revolution comes about, the number of IT jobs will decrease greatly. Often times as technologies advance, people of all walks of life lose jobs. The automation of industries are good examples.

****

That and outsourcing can also have a larger impact. As systems become easier to remotely manage, an outsourced group can manage them for more than one company and those companies would then lay off their own IT as a result. It really depends on the organization and what your function there is and will be as things change. Some companies prefer to keep everything in house and by doing so will be less likely to lay anyone off, at least not in large numbers.

————

I would have to say that yes the total number of IT jobs will go down in the next year. A sad fact of the current economy in the US companies will be cutting corners, and slimming things own so that they can stay competitive and keep there stock holders happy. This unfortunately means layoffs in all business sectors including IT.

=========
You could look at it though as a net change of zero. Companies may be cutting back on things like outsourcing and pull some services inside which would create the need for IT staff to deal with those activities, or companies might release people and do more outsourcing which would create more of a need in that line of IT jobs. I do think there might be some reduction in the short term as a reaction to economic conditions but in the long term IT will continue to be a growing workforce… maybe not as much as healthcare, but likely close to it.

Discuss This Question: 6  Replies

 
There was an error processing your information. Please try again later.
Thanks. We'll let you know when a new response is added.
Send me notifications when members answer or reply to this question.

REGISTER or login:

Forgot Password?
By submitting you agree to receive email from TechTarget and its partners. If you reside outside of the United States, you consent to having your personal data transferred to and processed in the United States. Privacy
  • Jaideep Khanduja
    Schmidt said: This question should be appended to the other question you asked about cloud computing. What I mean by that is if the cloud computing revolution comes about, the number of IT jobs will decrease greatly. Often times as technologies advance, people of all walks of life lose jobs. The automation of industries are good examples. To Schmidt: Cloud computing is one segment, here i am talking IT as a whole, think o or correlate it to non green cars effecting global warming and all factors effecting global warming. first of all, i dont think cloud computing will be emerging as a big revolution. and will not be effecting jobs to a large extent.. secondly in my opinion the net effect of cloud computing will always result in more jobs rather than cut down. i strongly believe and the history is proof of it that with the advancement of technology - there has never been closure or losing of jobs, yes, it closes some avenues for jobs but it opens more avenues than it has closed. -thanks jaideep
    9,385 pointsBadges:
    report
  • Jaideep Khanduja
    you wrote: That and outsourcing can also have a larger impact. As systems become easier to remotely manage, an outsourced group can manage them for more than one company and those companies would then lay off their own IT as a result. It really depends on the organization and what your function there is and will be as things change. Some companies prefer to keep everything in house and by doing so will be less likely to lay anyone off, at least not in large numbers. my comments: very right, infact recently in a IT conference in Malaysia that i attended, it was being discussed that why not one IT Head managing different companies at the same time. -thanks. jaideep
    9,385 pointsBadges:
    report
  • Jaideep Khanduja
    you wrote: I would have to say that yes the total number of IT jobs will go down in the next year. A sad fact of the current economy in the US companies will be cutting corners, and slimming things own so that they can stay competitive and keep there stock holders happy. This unfortunately means layoffs in all business sectors including IT. my comments: if one company is cutting down their manpower count, at the same time 10 new companies are emerging and hiring, so in my view net effect is that there is always a crunch of good technical/functional people in IT, and pay structures/demand is proof of it. overall, i feel it is not going down, rather going up! -thanks jaideep
    9,385 pointsBadges:
    report
  • Jaideep Khanduja
    you wrote: You could look at it though as a net change of zero. Companies may be cutting back on things like outsourcing and pull some services inside which would create the need for IT staff to deal with those activities, or companies might release people and do more outsourcing which would create more of a need in that line of IT jobs. I do think there might be some reduction in the short term as a reaction to economic conditions but in the long term IT will continue to be a growing workforce... maybe not as much as healthcare, but likely close to it. my comments: Net change will not be zero, rather it will remain positive always. the demand is going to increase and increase, with the increase of population of Non IT and IT companies. -thanks jk
    9,385 pointsBadges:
    report
  • Labnuke99
    I said that IT jobs are going to increase over the long run.... but in the long term IT will continue to be a growing workforce… maybe not as much as healthcare, but likely close to it.
    32,960 pointsBadges:
    report
  • Jaideep Khanduja
    yep, i agree what you say, but no. may go beyond healthcare as per my opinion.
    9,385 pointsBadges:
    report

Forgot Password

No problem! Submit your e-mail address below. We'll send you an e-mail containing your password.

Your password has been sent to:

To follow this tag...

There was an error processing your information. Please try again later.

REGISTER or login:

Forgot Password?
By submitting you agree to receive email from TechTarget and its partners. If you reside outside of the United States, you consent to having your personal data transferred to and processed in the United States. Privacy

Thanks! We'll email you when relevant content is added and updated.

Following