Rather interesting behavior!
Instead of guessing how you have the programs coded, can you provide:
1. The RPG prototype for the COBOL program (if you are using a prototype)
2. The RPG definition for the data structure/array being passed
3. The actual RPG CALL statement
4. How the RPG program is accessing the first element of the array after the COBOL program returns
5. The COBOL PROCEDURE DIVISION USING statement
6. The COBOL LINKAGE SECTION definition for the array being passed
7. How you are accessing the elements of the array within the COBOL program.
Bruce Vining Services