This free open source product is called Lansweeper it is a lot like spiceworks but as I said FREE!
. By adding a simple line to our network logon script, I am able to capture info about all of our workstations and servers. One of the things I found using the program today was that our Help Desk was giving local admin rights to all sorts of users in the field. I was able to squash that right away thanks to Lansweeper!
Lansweeper is a powerful freeware solution to make a complete software, hardware, asset inventory of your windows network.
Lansweeper does not need to install a client on your workstations, all scanning is done through the use of WMI, fileshares and remote registry access.
This freeware software is used in many universities, schools and companies.
Features in Lansweeper 3.1
For a full presentation download the feature list
* Lansweeper 3.1 is freeware and contains no ads.
* Run the server application on as many servers as you like.
* Use with unlimited clients (no restrictions).
* Reporting : over 75 hardware, software, network & server reports included.
* Software and operating system licensing reports and license cost calculation
* Launch custom commands and programs from the web interface to support your clients (remote control, ping, event viewer, remote screenshot, …)
* Win32 Gui to make easy configuration changes.
* Intuitive new web interface
* Asset tag vendor integration
* Wake on Lan support (WOL)
* Automated installer
Network inventory advantages:
* Automatic inventory of all your Windows clients.
* No need to install clients on the workstations.
* Query and store the registry keys you specify from all your clients.
* Find unknown running processes, spyware, browser hijacks, … running in your company.
* Use the webconsole or custom queries to use your gathered information.
* Combine the information found with active directory details.
* Lansweeper stores all information in SQL server (or in the free MSDE or SQL Express version)
Advantages of hardware and software inventory done by lansweeper:
Most commercial applications are very expensive and are licensed on a “per device” model. The only limitations of lansweeper are the speed of your server and your bandwidth. By using free databases like MSDE and SQL express you can make your own queries and reports to enhance the program.
Software inventory problems in other applications:
* You have to install clients (software / agents) on your workstations.
* Scanning is triggered or scheduled at time intervals.
* Laptop users coming into your network only every 2 months aren’t scanned.
* Scanning takes a long time.
* You do not get all the information you want from the scans.
* You cannot scan for custom files or registry keys.
Lansweeper solves these network inventory problems with a simple line in the logon script of each user.
The first time somebody logs on at a new computer the computer is automatically scanned and all hardware and software inventory is done.