1. you have to close the application Microsoft outlook
2. go to my computer
3. go to C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\
4. you will find two pst files there – one outlook.pst and second archive.pst
5. take backup of both these files
6. now you can start your Microsoft outlook application
For scanning when you are in the same folder as told in step 3, right click on outlook.pst, select scan for viruses option.
The path explained in serial no. 3 may vary if you are not an administrator, it will be according to your login ID.
For scanning you should have a virus scanner installed and running on your machine.
You can also go to an online virus scanner site via internet and scan your pst.
The same process can be schedule for autobackup and autoscanning.
When you say you want to scan it, do you mean for a virus? Or for corruption? For corruption, use <a href=”http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287497″>scanpst.</a>