Users of Windows Vista OS can create a rescue disk only if they have the setup CD of Windows XP Service Pack2. The computer will be able to load from a rescue disk irrespective of the Windows OS installed.
A special service has been added to Kaspersky Anti-Virus version 6.0 which helps to create a rescue disk to recover the system.
The disk may come in hand when system files are damaged after a virus attack and when the operating system cannot be loaded. In this case using Rescue Disk you can load your PC and recover the system to its initial state before it has been damaged.
WarningBefore you create a Rescue Disk make sure the driver of your network card or modem is included in the drivers which are delivered with the setup disk of Windows XP Service Pack 2. Otherwise signatures will not be updated in the Rescue Disk mode!
The following is required to create a Rescue Disk:
* OS Windows XP Service Pack 2 installed on your PC
* Windows XP Service Pack 2 installation CD
* PE Builder installed
* Clean CD-R or CD-RW
* HDD 200 MB RAM
Step 1: Start Rescue Disk creation wizard:
* Open the main application window of Kaspersky Anti-Virus version 6.0
* Go to Service > Rescue Disk
* In the right part of the window click the Start wizard .. button
Step 2. Define the folders necessary to create a rescue disk
* Click the Browse button next to the Installed PE Builder folder field. In the open window select the folder into which the PE Builder program was installed
* Click the Browse button next to the Output folder field. In the open window select a folder to temporary store the files to burn the Rescue Disk. The folder should be created on a disk. If a disk image has already been created, enable the option Use previously saved files. In this case the Rescue Disk creation wizard will use previously created disk image.
* Click the Browse button next to Path to Windows XP Service Pack 2 Installation CD field. In the open window select CD\DVD-ROM drive in which the disk is inserted or the folder in which the necessary files are stored.
* Enable Enable remote administration for rescued computer to create a rescue restoration disc which allows loading the operating system on a remote desktop to scan and process malicious objects by Kaspersky Anti-Virus version 6.0.
InformationThis option is not available in Kaspersky Anti-Virus MP2 (126.96.36.1994), Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0 MP2 (188.8.131.524), Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0 for Windows Workstations MP2
* Click Next to continue
Information The following folders are shown on the figure:
installed PE Builder folder – C:\pebuilder3110a
folder to store files of the disk image – C:\Rescue Disk
path to Windows XP Service Pack 2 installation CD – D:\
Rescue Disk creation wizard will start copying the necessary files
Step 3: Create ISO-file to burn a Rescue Disk. In the open dialog window enter a name of a new ISO-file or specify the path to the already created file by clicking the Browse button. Click Next to continue.
Step 4: the Wizards asks confirmation to burn the Rescue Disk. In the open dialog window choose Burn now or Burn later, or you select CD-ROM drive which will be used to burn the Rescue Disk. Click Next to burn the disk.
Click Finish after the Wizard has burnt the Disk.
InformationThe dialog windows for Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0 MP1/MP2, Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0 MP1/MP2 and Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0 for Windows Workstations are the same but with corresponding product names.
How to Use kaspersky Rescue Disk as Bootable DOS Antivirus:
1. Download Kaspersky Rescue Disk ISO file
2. Burn the Kaspersky Rescue Disk ISO image to a CD media using CD/DVD burning software.
3. Once finish burn Kaspersky Rescue Disk into bootable CD media, insert Bootable kaspersky Rescue Disk CD into CD ROM and boot the computer by loading CD ROM media first.
4. Then a DOS screen will be loading below. Hit Enter to start booting the DOS Kaspersky AntiVirus using Linux. Kaspersky Rescue Disk startup
5. Finally a Kaspersky AntiVirus 2009 GUI will be appear. Just check the hard drives that you want to scan virus or other malicious thread. Kaspersky AntiVirus 2009 GUI
As Kaspersky Rescue Disk is the most secure way to remove virus or other thread from your computer because sometimes is tough to remove virus when windows is running. So the most effective way of removing virus is when they are inactive. Plus more, Kaspersky Rescue Disk works as on-demand virus scanner that allows you to scan and remove virus without booting in Windows.