I just tried this to see what happens on my end.
I took a file that had a Creation Date/Time of 05/28/08 16:49:52.
I just did a CRTDUPOBJ and renamed the new object.
I then did a WRKOBJ on it, found it, and just took option 8 straight out, and the new object description details are showing 06/09/08 11:49:33
Maybe it has something to do with the version/release, but it works for me. I even tried using *SERVICE, and i am getting the same results.
Try doing some test dups in your lib, but don’t do *service.
I don’t think there is a way of finding this out.
If a file is compiled from DDS source you can see the source details from DSPOBJD *SERVICE, but if a file is created using CRTDUPOBJ it keeps the same source details. However, if a file is created using CPYF, the source details are not kept.
Hope this gives some help,