Our Exchange 2000 Server runs on a Windows 2000 SP4 server and was the only Exchanger server on the network (BDC). The hard drive in the Exchange 2000 server failed completely. I do have a backup of the information store created using Windows Native Backup utility.
So what are the correct recovery steps? I have done the following:
1. I put in a new hard drive into the server and installed a fresh copy of Windows 2000 server.
2. I named it the same name as the old server.
3. I installed all the service packs and updates on the new server
I am thinking of doing the following:
1. Join this server to the domain and make it a BDC.
2. Install Exchange 2000 on the server
3. Restore information store from my backup copy.
Does this sound right? Am I forgetting anything? Will my current AD complain about the new server with the old server's name? When I install Exchange 2000 again, will that mess up the AD?
Thanks for your help!