Nobody??? not even an idea?
You state “a user uses a piece of software…”. What software is being used? Have you checked option/settings/configuration/preferences to make sure it is set properly?
Even before doing that, of course the question (as it always is) “What changed?” What is different either on the local W/S, the Network, the Server now, when the software does NOT work vs. the last time it DID work? Trace down the changes and they may (at the least) point you in the direction of the underlying issue(s)
They use IRIS – a not so known piece of software so i didn’t mention it.. ive checked all the configuration on the mail file, on outlook and on IRIS.. nothing has changed it’s never worked on this particular computer i don’t think. the user was on maternity leave for 9-10 months and ive only worked here 6 months (im probably getting the old “cant do” jobs pushed onto me)
i did some windows updates with tne net framework update 2.0 still don’t work, and only difference now between the PC and the ones that work is ones a really old Compaq and the others are newer IBM Thinkcentres.. im thinking of just giving the user a newer computer soon and testing that one out.