A case study highlights a customer's success using your solution (and sometimes shares implementation details and lessons learned), whereas a white paper can be focused on:
* Thought leadership, meant to establish the company as a visionary
* Education, exploring a hot topic or issue
* Technical details about the product or service
* Comparing a company's offering to alternative solutions
* ROI, illustrating how companies benefit by using the solution
Case studies are often embedded in an ROI white paper to shore up the company's claims about the ROI customers can expect to achieve. They can also work in technical and competitive white papers.