There’s no way you don’t impact something
1. Add field to DDS – generally fields are added to the end of files, this my avoid a few errors.
1.1 CHFPF pointing at the lib/QDDSSRC/Member
1.2. Add the field using SQL ALTER Table command
2. The Format Level Identifier will be changed and this means that every RPG program that includes the file in an ‘F’ spec with External format will need to be recompiled. Also CL programs and cobol programs
3. Every other RPG program that uses the file as a datastructure should also be compiled
4. Any SQL’s that use the file may need to be altered
– if they do an insert without a value list the new field needs to be added
– if they do a select * the field needs to be added to the receiving datastructure
I think the CHFPF adds the field to the logicals, unless the logicals contain a field list — items 3-5 apply to the logicals
Every query/400 that uses the file needs to be opened for change so it will pick up the new format level.