Greets to all,
First off, where I live (WA, Australia) we have had a change in politics. We now have daylight savings starting in 1 week.
The problem is as follows.
* 3 Domains (not linked to each other)
* Multiple external sites (not tied back to base)
* Multiple DB systems and authentication systems tied together
* Over 200 PCs (most are connected to the domains, but a fair few are not)
* OSs = Windows 2000 (Server & Pro), XP (some), 2k3 server and some linux servers
* VPN links from US/Sweden/Australia
Now the problem is, how to we get all the PCs to change to daylight savings when all the software written for WA all take the stance we dont have daylight savings at all (look at Windows for example). Now we know we can get the servers to go an hour ahead, but the next problem is the client PCs and all the custom software packages may fail because of the time difference.
Now first off, if we get the servers to move forward an hour what will happen to the clients when they start up the next time. Will they (A) Fail to do anything but be standalone. (B) Fail to update the time (C) Work correctly.
Next the custom software, do we speak to the manufacturers and see if they can release a patch for it. Or just manually adjust them to the new time or change timezone
Any suggestions on what to do and how to do it.