These things could casue this error as follow:
1- Old version of O/S still on the device.
2- Old Active directory files.
3- Another database file like(Novel,etc..).
these all the causes that influnce on this..
You should at least of two domain controllers in your active directory environment. If you have two and one starts to act up.
1. de-promo the domain controller
2. Remove it from the domain.
3. Clean up the metadata in AD
4. Re-install the operating system
5. add it to the domain
6. Promote it to a domain controller
If that server is your only domain controller, you need to add a temporary domain controller then do the steps above. This <a href=”http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc736378.aspx”>link</a> will step you through cleaning up the metadata.