We’ve done several migrations from systems at V5R2 to V5R3 and R4 shouldn’t be any different. Basically we followed these steps:
1. On the R2 system do the standard premigration steps under GO LICPGM option 5. Make sure you’re current on the V5R2 cum package.
2. Boot the I5 from the IO_Base Cd and initialize it. Including reformatting the disks. This gives you a clean starting point in case there are problems you can always restart from this point.
3. Load the V5R4 Base OS from CD and apply PTFs. (You could save it after the PTFs and then use this tape to restart from instead of the CDs)
4. GO SAVE 21 on old system
5. Set these system values on the new system
CHGSYSVAL SYSVAL(QALWOBJRST) VALUE(*ALL)
CHGSYSVAL SYSVAL(QVFYOBJRST) VALUE(’1′)
CHGSYSVAL SYSVAL(QFRCCVNRST) VALUE(’0′)
CHGSYSVAL SYSVAL(QJOBMSGQFL) VALUE(*PRTWRAP)
5 Run the restore commands on the new box
RST OBJ((‘/*’ *INCLUDE)(‘/QSYS.LIB’ *OMIT) (‘/QDLS’ *OMIT))
Check the restores and redo any libraries or objects as required
6. Install the licpgms from CD (We generally just do them all and then later delete teh ones we don’t need. makes it easier to apply all of the PTFs just once.
7. Apply PTFs and your done.
This makes for a 20-30 hours downtime depending on your systems. Would be easier to do V5R4 on the 825 first 6-10 hours. and then do the migration of 10-12 hours. Two shorter windows instead of one long one.