Check your definition:
U in ol 23 will LOCK the data area when the program STARTS and release the data area when it ends.
From the book:
VisualAge RPG Language Reference
This entry is used to identify the type of data structure being defined. If a data structure is not being defined, this entry must be left blank.
- The data structure being defined is not a program status or data-area data structure; or a data structure is not being defined on this specification.
- Program status data structure. Only one data structure may be designated as the program status data structure.
- Data-area data structure. The data area is retrieved at initialization and is rewritten at the end of the program:
- If the DTAARA keyword is specified, the parameter to the DTAARA keyword is used as the name of the external data area. If the name is a variable, the value must be set before the program begins. This can be done by:
- Passing the variable as a parameter.
- Explicitly initializing the variable with the INZ keyword.
- Sharing the variable with another module using the IMPORT and EXPORT |keywords, and ensuring the value is set prior to the call.
- If the DTAARA keyword is not specified, the name in positions 7-21 is used as the name of the external data area.