I am looking for advice and guidance.
What kind of hardware I will need? What kind of software technologies should I start looking in to? What software packages are most relevant to what I am looking for?
(I am not an IT professional and not in IT related business! )
I am looking to learn HOW TO and implement a new network infrastructure in my office.
What I am looking for is:
1) One capable server that can run up to 5 simultaneous application sessions.
The types of the applications are:
* MS windows based like MS office applications
* Other vendor?s software that run on XP and Win98
* Web development software like Flash development and
Web pages design.
* Video and graphics design that are not demanding
a real time data streaming of very fast speeds
(general home usage stuff)
* Game programs that also run on Microsoft OS like XP
and also Win98.
The server will have to run some sort of VMware environment so that WINXP and Win98 and maybe other UNIX derivatives OS software can be run on it.
Also the installation of the software should be much easier and more reliable.
2)One Raid Storage device with at least Raid5 capability with a minimum capacity of 600GB. I am looking to uderstand if I can work with NAS or because of the requirements above I need a SAN with Fiber Channel or iSCSI etc.
3) Thin client stations that have a good video capability to work with video editing, games, and graphic design. Want to invest more into monitors and less into CPU/storage. We do not want to have a CPU capacity to work locally with Video data steaming. Remote terminal setup will be sufficient.
4)Network infrastructure that can support the above. At this point I don?t want to get into the issue of Firewalls and security hardware. The issue of the Router/Hub is the main one right now.
My quality and reliability requirements are very low. My main concern is to lower the investment as much as possible. I am looking to work with Open Source software products as much as possible.
It will be great if I can get at least the main ideas and advice how to proceed further.
October 21, 2006 1:26 PM
September 8, 2008 6:17 PM