Posted by: Troy Tate
DataCenter, DataManagement, howto, LAN, Metrics, Monitoring, network analysis, Network TAPs, Networking, packet capture, Performance, reporting, tools
Yesterday, I received my Datacom Systems Singlestream 102 network tap. I installed it during lunch and wouldn’t you know, something started not working right on the network! Hmmmmm… maybe I should have tested this before putting it on the live network…. well… lesson learned.
You ask “What stopped working?” Let me tell you my friend… everything stopped working! Well, actually, to the users it seemed that way. It was as if I had a bad cable between the LAN and the router. Users were reporting slow performance due to packet retransmissions and the LAN switch and the router were taking errors on the internal ethernet ports. Not a good situation!
So, strike 1 on the SS102. I called Datacom technical support and found out they were closed after 5:30 PM EST. It was now 8:15 PM EST. I left a message with details of what I was seeing on the network.
The next day, around 9:00 AM I tried calling Datacom technical support but received a message that all office staff were in a mandatory company meeting. A short time after this, I received a return call from a very good support engineer. We discussed my application and how I went through troubleshooting the situation. His current suggestion is rather than set the router & LAN switch ports to 100/full to set them to autosensing and ensure that portfast is enabled (this is a Cisco LAN switch). So, that is where I am now. I need to make a network maintenance window to make this change and try once again installing the Singlestream 102.
Stay tuned. More to come.
Thanks for your time. Let’s be good network citizens together & practice safe networking!