In July 2009, Fyodor released Nmap 5.0 with over 600 changes.This was the first major release since 1997. On January 20, 2010, Nmap 5.20 was released with an additional 150+ improvements. Some of these improvements include:
- 30+ new Nmap Scripting Engine scripts
- enhanced performance and reduced memory consumption
- protocol-specific payloads for more effectie UDP scanning
- a completely rewritten traceroute engine
- massive OS and version detection DB updates (10,000+ signatures)
Nmap is an excellent tool for network administrators, security administrators and penetration testers. Get some Online Nmap video training – scan your network. You can also do interesting things like Use NMap to quickly scan a large subnet for MAC or IP addresses – even firewalled systems. Go get your copy today.
How do you use Nmap in your environment? What tips/tricks do you have to share with other ITKE readers? Leave a comment and share your experiences.
Thanks for reading and let’s continue to be good network citizens!