Posted by: Ed Tittel
On Monday, the Born to Learn blog included a sort of guest post from Microsoft Press publisher Anne Hamilton. Entitled “An Update on the Plan for Revising Books based on Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows 8.1 from MS Press,” it speaks to a whole slew of publications that touch on the October 16 general availability (GA) releases for Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2. This information was provided in response to a question from the Learning community that’s stated as “When and how will books be updated to reflect the changes that are coming?”
This 9/23 blog post certainly answers most questions about updates to MS cert prep materials for Windows 8.1 and Server 2012 R2 related exams.
The Windows 8.1 MCSA books for exams 70-687 and 70-688 will be updated (70-687) or released as new titles (70-688) within 30 days of the exam’s release (which presumably coincides with the software release date of October 16, 2103). The two titles in question are Exam Ref 60-687: Configuring Windows 8.1 and Exam Ref 70-688: Managing and Maintaining Windows 8.1.
The Windows Server 2012 R2 MCSE books will also be available within 30 days of the exam. Titles in bold and italic represent updates of existing books; titles in italic only represent new titles:
- Exam Ref 70-410: Installing and Configuring Windows Server® 2012 R2
- Training Guide: Installing and Configuring Windows Server® 2012 R2
- Exam Ref 70-411: Administering Windows Server® 2012 R2
- Training Guide: Administering Windows Server® 2012 R2
- Exam Ref 70-412: Configuring Advanced Windows Server® 2012 R2 Services
- Training Guide: Configuring Advanced Windows Server® 2012 R2 Services
One additional title will follow 30 days after this first batch, and is an update to an existing book — namely, Exam Ref 70-417: Upgrading from Windows Server® 2008 to Windows Server® 2012 R2.
The MSCE on Windows Server 2012 will follow slightly behind, within 60 days of the exam (and again existing titles are in bold italic while new ones are in italic only):
- Exam Ref 70-413: Designing and Implementing a Server Infrastructure for Windows Server® 2012 R2
- Exam Ref 70-414: Implementing an Advanced Server Infrastructure for Windows Server® 2012 R2
At least, now I understand why some promised titles have not yet appeared when I had expected them to show up some time ago. MS has known all along it would need to update this information, so with books not yet released, it’s far easier to update first and release later, than it is to release, then update, and release again. Interestingly, Ms. Hamilton also promised that some additional titles “are yet to be announced” but that such announcements will appear in the afore-linked blog post as well as elsewhere. I’m incredibly curious to learn what else might be on the way. Stay tuned: I’ll keep you posted, too!