Posted by: Ed Tittel
when relevant content is
added and updated.
As of last Friday, Microsoft now offers a very nice discount — it amounts to a “buy 2, get one more free” — on exams for three different MCSEs that focus on Windows Server 2012 (which will soon mean Windows Server 2012 R2, when that new version hits its GA date on October 17/18). Thus, the following MCSEs and related exams are covered:
If you qualify for the 70-417 Upgrade exam, you can now buy into one of these MCSEs for $300 (the price of two MS cert exams).
1. MCSE: Server Infrastructure — Exams 70-413, -414, and -417 (the upgrade exam itself)
2. MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure — Exams 70-415, -416, and -417 (the upgrade exam again)
3. MCSE: Private Cloud — Exams 70-246, -247, and -417 (the upgrade exam one more time)
The obvious connection among the three credentials is the 70-417 exam whose title provides further clues as to the nature of this offer: “Upgrading Your skills to MCSA Windows Server 2012.” That is, only those prior MS cert holders who are eligible to take the 70-417 exam are also eligible for this deal. To spell things out completely, that means only those who already hold one or more of the following credentials can take advantage of this admittedly tasty offer:
- MCSA: Windows Server 2008
- MCITP: Virtualization Administrator
- MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator
- MCITP: Lync Server Administrator
- MCITP: SharePoint Administrator
- MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator
Exercising the discount offer requires signing up for an “upgrade pack,” for which the purchase period expires on May 14, 2014. Those who buy into the deal then have until the end of 2014 (December 31, 2014 to be exact) to finish using all the exam vouchers and free retakes (each exam in the upgrade pack qualifies for Second Shot treatment, which makes a very good deal even better, if you ask me).