Posted by: Ed Tittel
$50 for MS Certified Career Conference 11/18/2010, interesting line-up of speakers and coverage at Microsoft Certified Career Conference online 11/18/2010, MS Learning holds online conference 11/18/2010
I just got an email day before yesterday from the folks at Microsoft Learning’s PR agency, Waggener-Edstrom, informing me that MS would be hosting an online career/certification conference on November 18, 2010. At the time, details were still kind of sketchy and I’m waiting to hear back if they’re going to let me attend and report on activities and events while that conference is underway, as well as seeking more detailed information on topics and voerage planned for the conference.
In the meantime, I found this blog posting at the Born to Learn blog that appeared on October 5, as well: “Sessions & Speakers at the Microsoft Certified Career Conference” by Tjeerd Vinega. It provides more information about what the conference will cover as it runs for 24 hours online on 11/18/2010 (I still can’t figure out when that clock starts ticking in terms of Greenwich Mean Time or Universal Coordinated Time, but that’s another story). What it doesn’t say is that this conference requires attendees to pay $50 (at least in the US) to attend, as well as to register in advance so they can guarantee themselves access.
What it does say, however, is pretty interesting. Dick Bolles, author of the famous book What Color Is Your Parachute? (a book that’s been in print for nearly 40 years, and has sold over 10 millions copies) will kick off this conference. Stephen Rose, senior community manager at Microsoft will present a session called Building and Managing Your Brand (i.e. You) as well. Attendees will also get access to sessions in the following tracks:
- Career Essentials: Sessions on finding a job before graduation for the college crowd, preparing for unexpected career changes, and general career info and advice
- Microsoft Official Courses: these will be teaser segments, not entire courses, on subjects that include SQL Server 2008, Windows 7 desktop deployment, Windows Server 2008 Active Directory, SharePoint 2010 administration, and Exchange Server 2010
- 60 Minute Rock Star: intensely focused sessions for working professionals designed to boost skills and knowledge; products covered include PowerPoint, Finance, Windows 7, e-mail, and Exchange Server 2010
- A Day in the Life: War stories from newbies and seasoned professionals about life in IT nowadays
- Opportunity Knocks: Information about hot new MS technologies that might boost employability, including Azure, Windows Phone 7, and cloud-based e-mail solutions
- Super Cert Me: Exam prep information for various MS cert exams, including Microsoft Office Professional and MCTS topics
I’m still digging for more details, and hope to report on same as they become available, but you can always see for yourself what’s up through the conference registration page.