Posted by: Ed Tittel
Career development, Career planning, continuing education, IT certification, job seeking skills
My old buddy David Foote at IT compensation specialist firm Foote Partners, recently shared with e-week the results of his latest compensation data in a slideshow named “10 Hot IT Jobs for 2009.” Here;s a list of what he came up with in “David Letterman Top 10″ (reverse) order:
10. Storage Directors: coordinate storage, reduce overall hardware outlays (consolidated storage usually costs less than decentralized, distributed storage). Relevant certifications include SNIA, plus offerings from ECM, HP, Dell, IBM, Cisco, Sun, Oracle, and many others
8. Security Architects: somebody’s got to design security policy and implementations to match; that’s what these people do. See our infosec cert survey for plenty of pointers.
7. Virtualization experts: everybody’s doing it, and certs are starting to pop up in this area, primarily from VMWare and Microsoft, but also IBM, and probably other big vendors (HP, Sun, Dell, and so forth) soon
6. ITIL Managers: with governance interest and participation at an all-time high, and growing further, ITIL and business process expertise are increasingly valuable. Check the ITIL site for more info and pointers.
5. Enterprise Architects: These guys get tagged to “automate and streamline processes and infrastructure,” and can save organizations big bucks. Related certs: Sun/Java, IBM, Microsoft, EACOE, Institute for Enterprise Architecture, ITAC/Open Group
4. Outsourcing and Vendor Managers: Project Management Specialists who run existing vendor relationships. Related Certs: PMP plus items from number 3.
3. Vendor Procurement Specialists: in a tight economy VPAs and other vendor agreements will be reworked. Foote says “…companies are going to be renegotiating contracts like crazy.” Related certs: American Purchasing Society, Institute for Supply Management, Senior Professional in Supply Mgmt (SPSM)
2. Resiliency Services Professionals: A new buzzphrase for BC/DR, these services are gaining major traction in the middle of the marketplace (enterprises are pretty mature in this respect, but there are a lot more medium sized businesses in need of such things right now). Related cert programs: See “Cert Programs”
1. Business Intelligence (BI) Experts: help organizations keep up with customer thinking, market makeup, pricing, services, and other key aspects of the target audience. Related cert programs: IBM, Microsoft, TDWI/CBIP
Let this be an inspiration to those looking for more ways to fill their personal development and training dance cards for 2009.