Posted by: Raj Perumal
disaster recovery preparedness
Hi folks! So I wanted to talk a little bit about disasters in IT. All of us in IT dread the day when something fails and we have to work those long hours to restore service.
Here are a few things you can do to mitigate disasters and ensure you are prepared in the event of a disaster. If you follow these few simple steps, you will be in a better position in the event of a failure.
- Maintain at minimum a 24x7x4 on-site warranty for all critical hardware
- Keep spare parts sitting on the shelf so you don’t have to wait for warranty part delivery (such as spare hard drives, etc.)
- Maintain up to date backups of your configurations for all devices. This allows you to restore your configurations after a hardware failure quite easily.
- Keep all firmware up to date on your hardware to protect against the latest vulnerabilities
- Ensure that similar hardware such as stacked switches for example, are all running the same firmware version.
- Ensure all documentation for your hardware and network is readily available in a printed hard copy that is easily accessible in the event your network is down and the electronic copies are inaccessible