Posted by: Nathan Simon
dolby digital, Full HD 1080p, hdmi, hdtv, media player, Media Server, patriot, Patriot Box Office, PBO, streaming media
What would a techie be without his toys? Patriot better known for their memory and USB devices have recently released the Patriot Box Office or PBO.
The Patriot PBO Core is a Full-HD all-in-one media player that frees your digital media library from the constraints of a PC and bridges digital media to your home entertainment system and brings your entire media library to the comfort of your living room. With support for today’s most popular media formats (H.264,ISO, VOB, DivX, xVid, MKV, MOV, MPEG and more) PBO Core offers offers a variety of ways to connect to your media library through 3 USB ports, optional internal 2.5″ hard drive, UPnP and wired or wireless network streaming.
- Supports Full HD-video playback up to 1080p
- Supports Dolby® Digital and DTS™ surround sound
- Expandable internal storage via 2.5″ SATA SSD/HDD
- Supports video playback via UPnP networking streaming
- Browse and shared videos, photos and music from attached network devices/PCs, USB Flash Drives and USB external storage
- File formats supports
Music – WMA, MP3, Real Audio (Ra), EAV, OGG, ACC, FLAC
Graphics – JPEG, BMP, PNG
Video – [MPEG-1] MPG/MPEG/DAT,[MPEG-2]MPG/MPEG/VOB/ISO/TS/TP/M2TS, [MPEG-4] MP4/AVI/MOV, WMV9, FLA,[H.264/AVC] MKV/TS/AVI/MOV/M2TS, [DviX 3/4/5/6, Xvid] AVI/MKV, [Real Video 8/9/10] RM/RMVB
- Supports Internet Media Services (IMS) Flickr, Stocks, Video News, Video Podcasts, Weather, Picasa, RSS (+20 video feeds) and custom RSS feeds
- New improved user interface for easier use and album artwork feature during music search and playback
- Increased HDTV compatibility
- New compatibility with home made media connected via USB optical device
- New firmware and features are backward compatible with legacy units
At a price point of 110$ Canadian, why would one waste their time with building a media PC? Especially when this one can pretty much do anything. The PBO might be something showing up in my house in the near future.
If you have one, let me know what you think. I’d love to read your comments.
If you need to update the firmware on your PBO go here to download the latest firmwares. If you’re the same kind of techie like me you might want to try out the BETA firmware which can be found on the same page.