True mobility is almost here, free from the constraints of meager 3G networks! HSPA+ will be debuting here in Winnipeg on March 31st. Rogers and MTS Mobility are going to share towers, so all customers benefit from the joint effort put forth. The new network will have speeds up to 21Mbps down.
HSPA increases peak data rate and capacities in many ways.
- Shared-channel transmission, which results in efficient use of available code and power resources in WCDMA
- A shorter Transmission Time Interval (TTI), which reduces round-trip time and improves the tracking of fast channel variations
- Link adaptation, which maximizes channel usage and enables the base station to operate at close to maximum cell power
- Fast scheduling, which prioritizes users with the most favorable channel conditions
- Fast retransmission and soft-combining, which further increase capacity
- 16QAM and 64QAM (Quadrature Amplitude Modulation), which yields higher bit-rates
- MIMO, which exploits antenna diversity to provide further capacity benefits.
I am not sure, but it can be guessed that the new technology will make 3G connections more solid. Read the full article here.