VMware has recently released a real-time video and audio streaming test application. This is a tool that was being used internally to test Horizon Real-Time Audio-Video functionality at VMware. Since this application does such a good job, internal employees, have convinced VMware it will be useful for long term testing outside the company.
This application can:
- Displays webcam pictures at 1:1 resolution
- Automatically starts streaming images, on launching the application (and audio will be looped back, if selected)
- Loops the audio-in (e.g., from VMware Virtual Microphone) back out to the audio-out
- Tests RTAV functionality without the need to create user accounts
- Supports the VMware Virtual Webcam and Physical Webcams
- Runs on x86 and x64 Windows OSes
The application requires that the Microsoft 2008 C++ x86 (SP1) runtime components be installed. These are already installed on a Horizon View desktop, but if you want to run the application on a physical client machine without having Horizon View installed, then you may need to download and install these first. You can get them from the Microsoft Download Center.
Once the runtime components are installed, then the application can be run directly–it is a standalone executable which does not need installing or configuration. This makes it very easy to deploy for quick testing.
Download it from VMware Flings here.