Posted by: Clinek
Managing an Oracle shop, Oracle applications, Oracle careers and certifications, Oracle database administration
My, how Collaborate has grown! In only its second official year, the three user group combined conference is already up to 7,000 attendees from 50 countries. Let’s just hope that it doesn’t get as big as OpenWorld — although if Oracle keeps acquiring companies at its current pace, who knows?
The whole SearchOracle.com team is at the show, in America’s mecca of excess, Las Vegas. Here are some random observations…
- The best session title: “What if Kramer was your DBA and Seinfeld tuned your database” by Rich Niemiec, former head of the IOUG and co-founder of the consultancy TUSC.
- The biggest laugh of the day was also in Rich’s session. I don’t recall the actual joke, but the punch line was “… and they never even use WHERE clauses!” Needless to say, there are plenty of Oracle geeks at this show.
- Overheard in the hotel: “Just look into Carrot Top‘s eyes. There’s just something wrong there. He’s evil.”
- Did you know that there are a whopping 400,000 Oracle Forms developers worldwide? That’s a heck of a lot of competition for job-seekers. Chair of the Dallas Oracle Users Group – and stylish Frenchman — Emmanuel Delpierre offered his advice on Monday about how to market your “personal brand” to stand out from this crowd.
- One reason cited for the growth of Collaborate this year was the value that Oracle leadership increasingly places on it. For example, Oracle President Charles Phillips spoke Monday night and used the occasion to officially debut the new Application Integration Architecture (aka “Project X”). Of course, the free cocktails in the casino might be another reason for the show’s growth.
Stay tuned for more coverage of the show, including a podcast with author Mike Ault. In the meantime, here is a selection of other bloggers that are commenting on their Collaborate experience:
If you’re blogging from Vegas, let me know and we’ll put up a link.