Today, open source monitoring provider GroundWork Open Source, and cloud computing enabler Eucalyptus Systems announced their partnership on development and promotion of a monitoring tool for the Eucalyptus private cloud environment.
GroundWork CEO Peter Jackson explained that the monitoring tool should help data center admins who are wary of the cloud feel better.
“The insecurity that any IT decision-maker has today, with Cloud is that they are going to lose control, said Jackson. “We can assure them that they will not lose control.”
The monitoring tool can be used on Amazon EC2 cloud or in the traditional data center.
“We think supporting both use cases is important,” said Simon Bennett, Sr. Director of Product Management at GroundWork. “We don’t think it makes sense to have multiple configuration systems any more than it makes sense to have multiple monitoring systems.”
GroundWork is recruiting participants for the GroundWork Monitor Enterprise Cloud beta program. The monitoring program allows data center admins to correlate and visualize application availability and performance info simultaneously across the in-house datacenter, a Eucalyptus private cloud, and Amazon EC2. Interested parties must go through a screening process for acceptance into the program, and a participant-oriented webcast preview will be held on April 13.
The beta program offers:
- GroundWork Monitor Enterprise Cloud usage to cover on-premise, public or private cloud hosted applications and infrastructure
- Access to Eucalyptus EE, including VMware support to implement private clouds in existing environments.
- The opportunity to provide direct feedback to the engineering and product teams, helping define the future of IT operations in the cloud.
- Engineering and technical assistance for the duration of the beta program.
Beta participants will be able to:
- Quickly and easily build and monitor private and hybrid clouds with your existing environment and other public clouds
- Run Amazon Machine Image (AMI) instances on VMware-based hypervisors within your Eucalyptus private cloud
- Seamlessly manage environments with multiple hypervisors (Xen, KVM, vSphere, ESX™ and ESXi™) under one management console and transition applications without any modifications
- Manage service performance and availability based on IT monitoring insight trend and usage reports across environments.