Posted by: ITKE
when relevant content is
added and updated.
One of these days I’ll get around to finishing that Pulitzer Prize winning article on Ubuntu on the server I promised myself I’d do this month, I swear. In the interim, however, enjoy this list of new features in the upcoming Ubuntu Feisty Fawn release:
- New Gnome control center
- Faster searching with Tracker — Tracker is a search tool much like Beagle. Both programs will be available in the repositories.
- Easy codec installation — When trying to play a multimedia file, Ubuntu will try to install the necessary codecs automatically.
- Inclusion of NetworkManager — Connect to wired and wireless networks with the click of your mouse.
- Kernel Virtual Machine — Built in virtualization in the Linux Kernel.
- Migration assistant — Migrate documents, files and settings with ease from your previous operating system.
- VPN — Easy VPN access with NetworkManager.
- Desktop Effects — Bring up cool desktop effects.
The inclusion of KVM is interesting. Commercial adoption of that technology is a ways off (according to IBM and Red Hat anyway), but it’s quickly becoming the ying to Xen’s yang.