Storing all the key business documents in one place is the key purpose of having an Enterprise DMS (Document Management System). Single Source provides benefits of easy retrieval, increased visibility, one set of rules for managing documents, better control of documents. While Storing documents, store suitable attributes also to fulfill search requirements.
SAP provides an enterprise document management system, SAP DMS that can be used to manage documents for the entire enterprise business. SAP DMS (Document Management System) is a cross application component of SAP ECC that provides robust document, content and digital asset management capabilities. DMS is powered by SAP NetWeaver.
If you have invested in SAP DMS, then there are sufficient reasons for using SAP DMS as the Enterprise DMS:
- Secure storage of documents. Supports complex security rules to control access.
- A controlled environment for updates to documents using change management.
- Provides version and revision control, integrated workflow capabilities, full text retrieval and search functionality.
- Linkage with SAP business objects such as BoM, Material masters, Orders, Invoices, Contracts etc.
- Integration of Microsoft Office applications for updating documents.
- Ability to maintain document history to meet legal requirements.
- Provides various user interfaces including an easy-to-use, intuitive, Web-based portal and MS-Windows Explorer simplified access, called Easy DMS.
- Document Hierarchy and Classification capabilities that support search as well as archiving.
DMS provides various user interfaces including an easy-to-use, intuitive, Web-based portal and MS-Windows Explorer simplified access, called Easy DMS. SAP DMS functionality include:
- Check-in/check-out functionality
- Ability to classify documents for searching
- Linking of documents to other objects for visibility across the system
- Integration of Microsoft Office applications for updating documents
- Elaborate security profiles to protect access to documents
- Controlling of documents through change management process
- Use of versions and revisions
- Full text search across stored documents
- Automatic conversion of documents to neutral format for viewing and long term Storage.
SAP DMS provides the following benefits:
- Secure storage of documents
- Easy retrieval of documents
- Excellent search capabilities to cut down on time searching for documents
- A controlled environment for updates to documents
- Complex security rules to control access
- Increased visibility of key documents
- One source and one set of rules for managing documents
- Reduced time and effort spent on document management
- Ability to maintain document history to meet legal requirements
SAP DMS enables the capture and management of electronic documents, CAD models and drawings, MS-Office files, scanned images, multi-media files, and any other electronic files that should be stored and controlled in a secure environment. SAP DMS provides version and revision control, integrated workflow capabilities, full text retrieval and search functionality, and linkage with SAP business objects such as Bill of Materials, material masters (parts), process plans, engineering change masters, and production orders. SAP DMS supports archiving and SAP classification schemes as well as third-party archiving repositories. SAP DMS provides integrated viewing and redlining capabilities.
SAP customers from any industry and of any size with requirements to manage their electronic documents, media and other digital assets in a secure and controlled environment can benefit from establishing SAP DMS at the Enterprise level.