Posted by: Steve Pitcher
I love this time of year. Snow is falling. Holiday music everywhere you go. Someone scrutinizing your systems with a fine toothed comb and a red pen.
No worries right? You just have to ensure your systems are up to snuff all year round. Like always having a clean bathroom, you never worry when company comes to your house and needs to take a sh…uh, shower.
I have monthly system reports that show me some basic information. By doing this it allows a quick eyeballing of recent activities while it’s fresh in people’s minds. Then you can fix problems more easily than dealing with a whole bunch at the end of the year. Here’s what I’ve got jimmied up to spit out at the end of each month as a pdf:
- New users in the last month and what special authorities they have
- User profile listing of all users (minus the IBM supplied profiles)
- Profile status (enabled/disabled)
- Special authorities
- Storage quota set
- Last date the user logged in
- User class
- Limited capabilities or not
- Access to main menu (no default menu set)
- System value listing
- Listing of authorities granted in our ERP and Payroll systems
- Listing of dates/times vendors logged on to our system. I’ll cross reference that with our job tracking system to make sure they’re only doing work when we want them to.
- DAT version and last update date of our Standguard Anti-virus