So I put together my setup project using the in-grown version of MSI (don’t get me started on how cumbersome it is to add files!) and then built it. Looked good.
But when I tested it, the suggested path was “C:\Program Files\Default Company Name”. Whaaa? Where was it getting that from? And how could I get it to show the correct name? I figured I needed to modify some properties somewhere.
I right-clicked on the project in Solution Explorer, and then chose Properties. That brought up the configuration properties, not the project properties. Next I clicked on Project | Properties. That brought up the configuration properties again. So did View | Property Pages.
Then light dawned on Marblehead, as they say in New England. In Solution Explorer, I clicked on the name of the project. Then I clicked View on the menu bar and found the entry for Properties Window and clicked that. There it was—the manufacturer was set to Default Company Name. (Maybe I should buy that domain name….) At least it was an easy fix, once I found the right place.
I also noticed that I could choose an icon for my app’s entry in the Add/Remove Programs applet, as well as pre- and post-build events. I got all excited for a minute, thinking these were pre- and post-install events, but no such luck. Now wouldn’t that be nice!
The Deployment Project Properties window (as it is officially called) is very much like the properties windows for controls such as listboxes and buttons. Controls are objects, and so are projects, so I suppose it makes sense that you’d get to their properties the same way.
But they could have told me.