Job descriptions for web developers tend to contain a long wishlist of skills competency employers hope to find in quality candidates. Mastering every programming language on any “best of” list can prove to be a monumental task for any developer. Choose instead to master languages that have held steady in popularity and stability year over year.
Popular development languages I believe will remain popular and in-demand for 2014 (in no particular order):
- Java – Learn online at Udemy.com or start for free at Oracle.com.
- Python – Start with a free interactive tutorial at learnpython.org or complete the Python track at Code Academy.
- SQL – Microsoft Virtual Academy offers a free Database Fundamentals course to introduce relevant concepts.
- HTML – Essential HTML and CSS skills can be learned for free at Code Academy.
- XML – Learn for free from the MSDN learning center.
- PHP – Interact and learn for free at Code Academy.
- AJAX – While technically a collection of scripting and languages it’s still listed as a single language in multiple “best of” lists. That said, you can learn this one free online somewhere just like the others. Visit the jQuery learning center to get started.
- ASP.net – The Microsoft Virtual Academy offers a free course in web app development with ASP.net.
Learn a new language or suite of languages during the new year and upgrade your career. Demonstrate mastery by completing sample projects that showcase your stregths with a particular language and post them online. Develop using a cloud-based IDE then host projects on a cloud hosting service.
15 Programming Skills Most Coveted by Employers [ReadWriteWeb]
Best Programming Language to Learn in 2013 [Udemy Blog]
10 programming languages that are in demand by employers [Computer World]
What are the most popular programming languages? [Slashdot]