Posted by: Colin Smith
DBA, Stored Procedures, Sybase
A while back I wrote a post about how I took a system stored Proc called SP_WHO and I modified it to only give me results for a certian subset of logins to the Sybase server. I let it run once an hour every hour for two weeks and then presented the numbers to my boss. He was very pleased that I was able to get these numbers from him and that the numbers validated what the application team was telling him. This gave him the insights that he needed in order to better estimate the licensing requirments for a new project that is coming down the pipe. I think that this is important to know so that you will not be afraid to modify some code to get what you need. By modifiying something that Sybase already had done, really saved me a lot of time and effort in order to get my boss what he needed. Just remember to rename the proc so that you do not replace the originals.