The Multifunctioning DBA

Apr 23 2009   2:25AM GMT

Oracle Upgrade Complete

Colin Smith Colin Smith Profile: Colin Smith

I was able to finish up the Oracle Upgrade that I wanted to do today. First I removed the previous installation of Oracle 10 on the server. I then installed the software and all patches that I needed. I then changed my variables to reflect the new Oracle Home Directory that I wanted to use. After that I launched the dbua and walked thru each step, I did not move the files during the upgrade so it was an in place upgrade. I did have a good backup that I could fail back to if needed. This is very important. After a couple hours the upgrade had finished. I still had to copy over the tns folder and change the listener.ora file also to reflect the new Oracle Home. I also needed to change some parameters in the spfile.ora. The application that uses this DB has provided a tool to edit the spfile directly. I edited the file and I started the DB with no issue. This took me just under 4 hours and that was my target time. I think that I am ready to upgrade our production servers and feel confidant that I will not have any issues that I can not overcome.

 Comment on this Post

 
There was an error processing your information. Please try again later.
Thanks. We'll let you know when a new response is added.
Send me notifications when other members comment.

Forgot Password

No problem! Submit your e-mail address below. We'll send you an e-mail containing your password.

Your password has been sent to:

Share this item with your network: