Posted by: Colin Smith
Part 2 in this series I am going to go over why a email policy would not work and why we are scripting this out.
So here is the deal, according to my Exchange admin for a policy to work all the users or mailboxes in an ou have to have that policy applied. We did not want to affect all the users in any ou and we also did not want to move AD objects into different OU’s in order to make this change. So we had to have some rules defined so that the script can look at each account and determine, what if anything, needs to be done to the account. The rules were like this, if a persons AD attribute of Company or Department meet certain criteria then we are to add an alias smtp address as well as change the format of the current primary smtp address. If a users company or department or email domain is something else then we do nothing with that account. and last if the user does not meet those exclusion rules then we add a new primary smtp address for that mailbox.
Now that we know the rules next time we can start looking at how we will need to filter out the accounts and determine what is going to be done with them.