Posted by: Colin Smith
Database, Database Administration, MS SQL, SQL Server
I have installed SP3 on a few SQL Servers with no issue at all. The other day I go to install it on a production instance and it fails with the following error:
A Recently Applied Update, KB955706, failed to install.
The update failed with that error for the following services:
I then went and looked into the log files for each that failed and I noticed some interesting things. Here are the highlights:
Warning: Local cached package ‘C:\WINDOWS\Installer\8510ea.msi’ is missing.
Couldn’t find local patch ‘C:\WINDOWS\Installer\549bc1bf.msp’. Looking for it at its source.
MainEngineThread is returning 1635
This patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package.
D:\SQL Installer\Disk 1\Setup\SqlRun_SQL.msi
So I started googleing like crazy and I was just about ready to call MS to open a case when I found the best writeup ever on this problem.
I followed the instructions here on a clone of the server and everything worked perfect. Now I just need to make sure that no one ever touches the c:\Windows\Installer directory when trying to free up disk space.