Posted by: Colin Smith
I am usually not one for resolutions, but this year is a bit different for me. In the past year I have had some things in my life change. Some for the better, and some changes were not for the better. I try to keep a positive outlook on life and see the positive even in the negative. Sometimes this is very hard. A couple big changes for me this year were.
1. My job change. In 2009 I was transferred from my company to the parent company. Now I support many sites but my scope of supported Databases has decreased. I now am a SQL Server DBA where before I was also doing Sybase and Oracle. I still am on call for the previous job so I still do Sybase and Oracle, although it is much less often now. (It is a strange situation that I am in)
2. This change is more personal and does not have as much to do with work. I think that it will affect my work, and I am hoping in a positive way. I was diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes. Not cool but I put myself here and now I have to work through it. I started strong after finding out and made some big changes but I have fallen off the wagon so to speak. This is something that I have to change or I could die. I hope that in making the positive changes in my life to help with the Diabetes, that will translate into more energy and a revitalization of my passion for work. I still have the passion, just not as much as I used to and I really want to get it back.
With these two large changes in my life last year I think that I need to make a few changes in my life this year to work everything out.
• First is my health. I have starting working out a plan to make the changes that I had made after my diagnoses along with some new changes that will help me stay on track. My goal is to lose 80 lbs and keep it off for the year. Then next year all I have to do is keep it off. That sounds way better than losing it. If I can do that then I think that will do a couple things for me.
o This will get my A1C in check and I can get off the meds that I am on. I HATE taking pills.
o I think this will give me the added energy I need during the day to be more productive then I am. Right now I get the job done but I really feel like I can do more.
• Now to work. I want to continue to learn but I want to do it in bigger leaps. I want to read more, I need to complete my SQL Server Certification and also start on the 2008 Certification. I need to figure out the mess that the job change has gotten me into and I need to get to work on that. Right now I have no clue about all the servers that I am now in charge of. I like to be proactive and not reactive and I right now reacting is all I can do. I am in the process of gathering a list of instances but even after I do that I have a lot of work to do in order to “Get to know the servers”. This is very important. I need to do a health check of the servers, and then start getting some baselines so that I can do performance monitoring on them all. This is going to be a huge undertaking but it is a challenge that I welcome and look forward to. I know I have a lot to learn so I will love it.
• Another thing that I have done is set up a twitter account. I am so anti social networking but I really would like to become more of a member of the community. My twitter name is smithco32 but I have yet to send a tweet. I have no followers at this time and I will only tweet when I have something real to say about SQL at this time anyway. I am following two individuals and a group. I follow MR. Denny and Brent Ozar. Both are SQL Server MVP’s and both have great blogs that I read daily. I have learned a lot from them and strive to be more like them in the SQL world. Also Brent Ozar has a post about following groups on Twitter and I am following the sql-server group that he had put together.
Well I guess that is about it for changes that I am going to make in 2010. I do not think the goals are to lofty but I think that they are good for me. If you have any thoughts on how I can become a better part of the SQL Server community please let me know. Also let me know what you are going to be changing in your lives this year.