Posted by: Ryan Shopp
BMC, CA, DataCenter, EMC, HP Software, IBM Tivoli, NetIQ, Quest Software
So it’s time to start refining the Data Center Automation Blueprint. One way I hope to do that is through these next 6 blog posts (one for each functional DCA category) that will:
1) create list of vendors I know about that have some capabilities for the data center in the specified functional area
2) during this first pass attempting I also hope to breakdown each function by some major capabilities.
*NOTE: Help me out if I miss some vendors, miss some products within vendor product lines etc. Again, the focus is for current/future complex data center so I won’t be including tools like Ipswitch What’s Up Gold or products that are on their way out (end-0f-life) by vendor (e.g., NetView).
Event consolidation & root cause analysis
- BMC – Performance Manager
- CA – Spectrum
- EMC – SMARTS
- HP – Network Node Manager, Operations Manager
- IBM – Netcool
- Microsoft – Systems Center Operations Manager
- NetIQ – AppManager
- Quest Software – Foglight
A new product segment that has materialized that for now I’m going to go place here is log management where you maintain historical event/message/alert logs and then have historical reporting and applying advanced indexing and searching technology to quickly find the “needle in the haystack” problems. It also has application beyond operational availability management of the data center within the security space for compliance management.
Next up will be the current Data Center Automation Functional Area of Performance and Capacity.