Posted by: SJC
IT administration, IT careers, IT Management
I love my work! I have always loved my work, although it hasn’t always been in IT. When I came into IT it was with a wealth of experience in business and entrepreneurship, with successes as well as failures. Here is my list of the top 5 reasons I love IT!
- It is constantly changing – and this is truly the flip side of a coin — since the constant change can both be loved as well as hated! I love it because I am an individual who once something becomes routine I lose interest and have to force myself to the grind. In IT with the constantly changing needs it seems there is always something new to experience.
- It can be rewarding – Users love it when their systems work – or help them get more done in an easier fashion – and that is a reward to me.
- It is challenging – and being a man who likes challenges (most of the time) I’m OK with this. For some, however, the constant challenge becomes more than they can deal with effectively – and that is NOT a pretty picture!
- It provides some level of flexibility - and I emhasize “some level” because I realize that not all in IT have the kind of flexibility that I currently have. However, IT does often provide the ability to work from home, most or at least some of the time. There are also of course those times when there is NO flexibility — like for instance a down system. Life for an IT professional takes on a whole new meaning when there are 100 people who can’t work because a system is down!
- It makes me feel good - to be able to provide a service for another which they are incapable of providing for themselves. For me it may be something like being a musician and not playing for others. What good is beautiful music played only for ones own ears? The talent required to be successful in IT is meant to be shared as well.
Be sure to read my Top 5 Reasons I Hate IT also.