Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards (PCI DSS) compliance for data centers is here to stay, thus your facility should be prepared to undergo the PCI DSS assessment in a cost-effective and efficient manner. Here are some tips for PCI DSS compliance for data centers.
1. PCI DSS compliance is NOT just limited to Appendix A of the PCI DSS requirements.
2. Conduct a PCI DSS Readiness Assessment for truly understanding the scope of the engagement for compliance.
3. Make sure you have policy and procedural documentation in place as this is a very large and time consuming effort for any organization, especially data centers.
4. Understand the requirements for quarterly scanning and penetration testing and what is in scope for the PCI DSS assessment.
5. Correctly SCOPE the assessment. This sounds like an easy process, but it can become quite complex with all the products and services (managed services) that data centers offer for businesses today.
6. Understand the initial “roadblocks” which many service providers run into, such as having to implement two-factor authentication for remote access into the production environment along with having password requirements for all system components that fall within the scope of the actual PCI DSS assessment. (These are just two of the many roadblocks that organizations encounter).
7. Find a competent, well-qualified QSA to assist with all your compliance needs.
Visit the official PCI DSS Resource Guide to learn about PCI DSS compliance.