Posted by: David Davis
CCIE, Cisco, Networking
Being a CCIE myself, I just love CCIE History. I read a great article over at NetworkWorld submitted by Brad Reese.
Here are some cool things I learned from the story:
- The CCIE was announced on September 27, 1993
- Now the very successful CEO of Cisco Systems, John Chambers was insturmental in getting the CCIE certification launched. Back then, Mr Chambers was a “merit vice president”.
- The very first CCIE number was 1024 and was assigned to the testing lab. They did not start the number at 1.
- Stuart Biggs (who designed the lab and wrote the test) was assigned CCIE# 1025
- The first non-Cisco employee to achieve the CCIE was Terry Slatterly, with CCIE# 1026.
You can read more about Terry and the history of the CCIe at Terry Slattery – the very first Cisco CCIE in history and at Terry’s Blog.