Profile: David Davis
In today’s quick tip, let me offer 5 Networking “buzz words” you should know:
- Get VPN – Group Encrypted Transport – Developed by Cisco in 2006 to allow secure connections over the Internet which is very easy to implement and maintain.
- GDOI – Group Domain of Interpretation – Provide a “key” to decrypt or encrypt your data – related to ISAKMP – see RFC3547 for more information.
- MTU - Maximum Transmission Unit – In relation to IP, it sets an upper packet size limit for maximum packets.
- ICMP – Internet Control Message Protocol - Messages that are contained within IP packets such as 0 for Echo Reply or 5 for Redirect. ICMP could be called the network managment protocol for IP.
- WCCP - Web Cache Communication Protocol – WCCP is a protocol for communication between routers and Web caches. Two versions exist: WCCP Version 1 (WCCPv1) and WCCP Version2 (WCCPv2). The two versions are incompatible. Cisco IOS images can support either of the two versions or both.
For more information see the Cisco Internetworking Terms and Acronyms.