Posted by: Brien Posey
While getting ready to write today’s blog post, I stumbled onto something that I had written last month. Apparently a system glitch prevented it from being published. The following was supposed to have been a follow up to my post on a bare metal restore:
I wanted to take the opportunity to add some caveats to yesterday’s blog post. I originally said that the backup and restore process went flawlessly. For the most part that is true. After using the machine for a day though, there were a couple of quirks that I found that I didn’t mention yesterday.
One was that the restore process didn’t preserve my Outlook 2007 offline cache. This isn’t a huge deal, because the contents of my Exchange mailbox were automatically downloaded the first time that I opened Outlook. Being that my mailbox is over 2 GB in size though, the process took a little while to complete.
Another caveat that I forgot to mention yesterday was that although my new drives were larger than my old drives, Windows kept the partition sizes the same as what they had been before. Therefore, I had to enlarge the partitions before I could get any benefit out of the new drives. Again, it isn’t a huge deal, but I wanted to at least mention it.