As April draws to a close, so does Storage Virtualization month. Not to worry; we’ve compiled all of our greatest resources from this past month for quick reference as we move forward. From IT questions to articles, blog posts, and Twitter lists, our wrap-up is a great beginner’s – or dummy’s – guide for moving forward in your storage virtualization implementation.
From the Enterprise IT Watch Blog
- For those of us who aren’t experts in the field of storage virtualization, we compiled the basics of storage virtualization to start the month off on the right foot.
- For real-time information on the goings-on in storage virtualization, we compiled the best of the best storage and virtualization pros to follow on Twitter.
- Despite the age of 140-character conversations, IT books are still a great way to get all the information you need in one place, and these storage virtualization books come highly recommended.
- For everything else, we have our Storage Virtualization Multimedia Guide, including top storage and virtualization blogs that have serious credibility in their respective expert communities.
- Storage virtualization is one of the best ways to celebrate Earth Day all year round.
Storage Virtualization 101
The Storage Network Industry Association has a booklet that covers the “different terms, types, locations, and technologies of storage virtualization and the data services that can be built on it” as well as descriptions of “implementation step by step and aspects of availability, performance, and capacity improvements.” Whether you’re interested in the role of storage virtualization or the many hypotheticals of the deployment, check out the SNIA’s booklet on storage virtualization (PDF).
Storage Virtualization FAQs
From Open IT Forum discussions to members curious about the technology, we’ve seen some thought-provoking discussions. Have a question about storage virtualization that wasn’t asked in the forums? Head over and ask it yourself. And don’t forget to tag it “storage virtualization”!
- What is the most important component of a virtualization strategy?
- What’s your attitude toward storage virtualization?
- Choosing disks for virtualization storage
- How does virtualization change my storage needs? (An important question, considering 43 percent of IT organizations underestimate or forget to calculate the impact storage will have on a virtualization project.)
For regular updates on virtualized storage like this one on the important niche of storage virtualization products and this great jumping off point for your own storage virtualization pros and cons list, check out SearchVirtualStorage.com.
Check out the Storage Decisions seminar on Storage for Virtual Environments for a one-day tutorial on maximizing your virtualization deployment with storage made specifically for your new environment.
Did you enjoy Storage Virtualization month? Share one thing you learned in the comments section, and we’ll share 25 knowledge points to go toward our latest contest!
Next month on IT Knowledge Exchange…
May’s theme is Networking at IT Knowledge Exchange! Editor Michael Morisy is heading to Interop, so keep an eye for coverage of the festivities. Are you heading to Interop next month as well? Reach out and let Michael know at Michael@ITKnowledgeExchange.com.
Are there other topics you would be interested in seeing explored around IT Knowledge Exchange in the future? Let us know in the comments section or send me an email at Melanie@ITKnowledgeExchange.com.